We’re at the forefront of the data revolution, committed to building the world’s greatest data and applications platform. Our ‘get it done’ culture allows everyone at Snowflake to have an equal opportunity to innovate on new ideas, create work with a lasting impact, and excel in a culture of collaboration.
Snowflake is one of the fastest growing companies in history. We have built a comprehensive cloud data platform from the ground up that provides a global data mesh across 3 clouds and more than 30 regions, deploys tens of thousands of VM’s, and runs millions of jobs per day for customers all over the world.
The Service Runtime is the massively scalable home-grown distributed system at the heart of the Snowflake service. This system ensures the availability, intelligent resource management, resilience, and scalability of the Snowflake service.
We are only getting started. We need to continue innovating, designing, and scaling for the future. We are actively hiring a talented Principal Distributed Systems Engineer for our Snowflake Berlin engineering office, located in central Berlin. The working language for this office is English.
This is a unique opportunity to join other experienced engineers in the growing Service team in Berlin. The focus of the team is to build new components and optimize existing components in Snowflake's services layer. We will continue to increase performance, concurrency, and scalability which enables our continued innovation in Query Processing and Analytics. This role includes work on distributed systems, message passing algorithms, distributed caches, and consensus protocols, impacting thousands of customers and affecting millions of customer jobs per day.
AS A PRINCIPAL DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS ENGINEER AT SNOWFLAKE, YOU WILL:
- Lead significant engineering efforts in the Service area and beyond.
- Develop and lead innovations and new features that help push the boundaries of reliability and scale for our multi-cloud service.
- Drive critical improvements to product stability and reliability, on-call and service health, customer support, diagnosability and manageability of the product.
- As a domain expert, understand the state of the art in Distributed Systems, keep up with research in the area and remain familiar with designs in the competitive industry.
- Make contributions at the company-wide level with longer-term objectives, usually 1-3 years in duration.
- Be a key decision-maker on technical or business issues, which significantly impacts roles and responsibilities of others.
- Regularly explore uncharted territory. Be aware of business trends and emerging technologies even outside the current business and determine how they can be leveraged to the advantage of Snowflake.
OUR IDEAL PRINCIPAL DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS ENGINEER WILL HAVE:
- 12+ years hands-on software engineering experience.
- 6+ years of experience building large scale distributed, fault-tolerant services.
- Experience with database fundamentals including working with relational data, semi-structured data, and unstructured data.
- World-class CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- Strong systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, caching, batching, etc.
- Fluency in Java and C++ required.
- Strong experience with service-oriented architectures.
- Track record of identifying and implementing creative solutions.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure - AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud a plus.
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- Fluent in English.
Snowflake is growing fast, and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We are looking for people who share our values, challenge ordinary thinking, and push the pace of innovation while building a future for themselves and Snowflake.
How do you want to make your impact?
Snowflake delivers the Data Cloud—a global network where thousands of organizations mobilize data with near-unlimited scale, concurrency, and performance. Inside the Data Cloud, organizations unite their siloed data, easily discover and securely share governed data, and execute diverse analytic workloads. Wherever data or users live, Snowflake delivers a single and seamless experience across multiple public clouds. Snowflake’s platform is the engine that powers and provides access to the Data Cloud, creating a solution for data warehousing, data lakes, data engineering, data science, data application development, and data sharing. Join Snowflake customers, partners, and data providers already taking their businesses to new frontiers in the Data Cloud.