- Ensure proper team focus on priorities, milestones and deliverables
- Oversee commercial engagements providing custom kernel engineering
- Represent the kernel team with respect to stakeholders, customers and external teams
- Organize and evolve a growing engineering team to optimise quality and velocity
- Identify and measure team health indicators
- Ensure a disciplined engineering process
- Encourage product ownership and foster collaborative development
- Packaging Edge components in snaps
- Participation in the upstream project and representing Canonical and its partners
- Become a subject matter expert on EdgeX device and application services, including the associated SDKs, in order to expert guidance on building vertical solutions based on EdgeX
- Build strategic relationships within the EdgeX Foundry community, including key technology partners and customers
- Work in conjunction with Canonical’s IoT and Cloud sales, delivery and business development teams to grow existing customer accounts as well as winning new customers
- Travel required; mix of domestic and international up to 30%.
Ubuntu is the most widely used Linux platform for innovation from cloud to connected devices. EdgeX Foundry is an open source platform for edge computing. Work with both technologies to further the future of IoT.
The Engineering Manager will help lead our group of engineers working on EdgeXFoundry. A strong background in IoT or Industrial IoT is preferred. Responsibilities include leadership of a small group of engineers, architecture, solution engineering, snap packaging, participation in the upstream working project (workgroup meetings, code review, etc), optimization of EdgeX for Ubuntu Core and Classic, SI/ODM/OEM developer support, documentation, developing, demonstrating and presenting some of the most advanced operating systems and application technologies available in the enterprise world. The role is in a fast-paced, problem-solving environment and the questions require answers that are challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, quick-thinking and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across cloud, server, desktop and IoT technologies.
Who we're looking for?
Required skills and experience
- BA/BS (or higher) degree in Computer Science or related engineering field
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Significant programming experience in C, Golang, Python, or like languages
- A solid understanding of the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- 2+ years of experience with Golang programming
- Experience with containers
- Experience with Linux packaging (Debian, RPM, Yocto)
- Experience with security technologies (certs) and best practices
- Experience with source control systems
- Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, DHCP, etc)
- Knowledge and experience with REST API(s)
- Knowledge and experience with messaging architectures (DBus, SOAP, gRPC, pub/sub)
- Understanding of security issues in the IoT industry
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with Access Control (JWT, OAuth, SSO)
- Experience with IoT protocols (Bacnet, LWM2M, Modbus, OPC-UA)
- Familiarity with x86 and ARM SoC architectures and vendors
- Experience of deploying embedded and IoT solutions - from hardware and operating systems through applications and cloud services.
- Experience with agile methodologies