What are we looking for?
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Software Engineer with a passion for large scale databases and distributed systems to help us take FoundationDB to the next level. FoundationDB powers all of Snowflake’s products and services and is rapidly evolving to meet Snowflake’s future needs. We are growing at a fast rate and we need to scale FoundationDB by at least one order of magnitude over the next few years. Additionally, new workloads are emerging that need FoundationDB’s reliability, high availability and strong consistency semantics. These workloads will require innovation to re-architect the core components of our system.
As a Senior Software Engineer on this team, you will:
- Identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for impactful improvements
- Own the end to end delivery of your projects, from identifying a solution, to design, implementation, test and safe production rollout
- Design and implement critical high performance systems to handle the ever growing request rate of our database
- Build the next generation transaction system, caching, storage engine and multi-tenant capabilities
- Evangelize best practices in database usage and end-to-end architecture.
- Analyze and understand performance and scalability bottlenecks in the system and solve them.
- Pinpoint problems, instrument relevant components as needed, and ultimately implement solutions.
An Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 5+ years hands-on software engineering experience
- Systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, etc. Fluency in modern C++ is needed, i.e. C++14, C++17, C++20.
- Experience designing, building, and operating large-scale distributed systems or web services
- Experience with scalable Key-Value stores such as FoundationDB, RocksDB/LevelDB, DynamoDB, Redis, etc.
- Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- Ability to work in a team environment, collaborate well, and mentor junior engineers
- Strong oral and written English language skills
- Track record of delivering highly complex projects in the distributed systems space
- Intense curiosity, willingness to question and passion for making systems better
- Excitement by the challenge of hard technical problems
- BS in Computer Science; Masters or PhD Preferred.
Snowflake delivers the Data Cloud—a global network where thousands of organizations mobilize data with near-unlimited scale, concurrency, and performance. Inside the Data Cloud, organizations unite their siloed data, easily discover and securely share governed data, and execute diverse analytic workloads. Wherever data or users live, Snowflake delivers a single and seamless experience across multiple public clouds. Snowflake’s platform is the engine that powers and provides access to the Data Cloud, creating a solution for data warehousing, data lakes, data engineering, data science, data application development, and data sharing. Join Snowflake customers, partners, and data providers already taking their businesses to new frontiers in the Data Cloud.