Senior Software Engineer (Backend) – Krakow – Hybrid Working Pattern
We’re Kingfisher. You might know us as Castorama, B&Q, Screwfix, Brico Depot or Koçtaş. We’re made up of over 78,000 passionate people, call over 1,300 stores home and operate in 8 countries. That’s right, we’re big, but we have ambitions to become even bigger and even better. We want to become the leading home improvement company and grow the largest community of home improvers in the world. And that’s where you come in.
At Kingfisher our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We want to ensure that all colleagues, future colleagues, and applicants to Kingfisher are treated equally regardless of age, gender, marital or civil partnership status, colour, ethnic or national origin, culture, religious belief, philosophical belief, political opinion, disability, gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation.
We advocate the benefits of a flexible and hybrid working environment, recognising that this means different things, to different people, in different roles.
We are going through and exciting period of change and are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Backend Engineer to join our Software Engineering team. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work closely with your cross functional team to design and implement new features and products, whilst bringing ideas, energy, and leadership to the table. Our aspiration is to grow an engineering function that is world class, pioneering in the retail technology space, making great software within a growth culture that is always looking for the next thing to improve or adapt to meet our customer needs.
If you're looking for an exciting opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and make a real impact building better software, this is the job for you!
What we offer
- In return, we offer an inclusive environment, where what you can achieve is limited only by your imagination! We encourage new ideas, actively support experimentation, and strive to build an environment where everyone can be their best self.
- We’re adopting a hybrid approach with some office and some home working, on average 40-60% in the office. You will be based in our office in Krakow, where we opened a global Business Services (GBS) Centre in 2017.
- We also offer a competitive benefits package and plenty of opportunities to stretch and grow your career.
Interested? Great, apply now and help us to Power the Possible.
- Design, develop, test, and deploy high quality software that will delight our customers
- Work with users and stakeholders to understand and deliver value through your product
- Participate and lead upon design, code, and test reviews.
- Practice DevOps, testing and releasing software continuously.
- Integrate software with monitoring, observability, and support tools
- Lead, coach and mentor engineers.
- Participate in team process, using Agile methodologies to adapt and continuously improve
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features.
- Share feedback & seek opportunities to improve software quality.
- Exercise strong technical aptitude to influence positive change and innovation.
- Help troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle.
- Research new technologies that can be of use.
- Significant exposure working in fast-moving software engineering teams.
- Great core Java / Kotlin design and development skills.
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented and functional programming, design patterns and multi-threading programming.
- Experience with microservices and event driven architectures.
- Experience working with cloud-based solutions (AWS/GCP preferred).
- A good knowledge of unit and integration testing techniques.
- Experience with CI and CD pipelines, and supporting platforms, e.g., Gitlab.
- Extensive experience with source control, e.g., Git.
- Strong understanding of RESTful services (JSON) and API Design.
- Understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience of mentoring and coaching other software engineers.
- Ability to clearly articulate complex problems and solutions in terms that others can understand.
- Version control: Git
- Methodology: Agile methodologies
- Architectural decisions are made by: Tech Lead
- Who chooses technology: Tech Lead
- Healthcare package for families
- Healthcare package
- Language courses
- Cold beverages
- Hot beverages
We’re Kingfisher. You might know us as Castorama, Brico Dépôt, B&Q, Screwfix, or Koçtaş. We’re made up of over 77,000 passionate people, over 1,300 stores operating in 9 countries. At Kingfisher, we believe a better world starts with better homes. We offer home improvement products and services to consumers and trade professionals in our stores and via our e-commerce channels across Europe.
Retail is changing faster than ever and we’re determined to lead the way and reimagine how our customers can make their dream homes a reality. We want to become the leading home improvement company and grow the largest community of home improvers in the world – and that starts with tech.
We’re growing. In 2017 we opened a Global Business Services (GBS) Centre in Kraków, and now we’re looking to expand our technology hub in Poland. That’s where you come in.